Request ID: EPC-8441-1 (99991102)
Network Engineer (CCNA/ITIL) with routers/switches, WAPs, load balancers, firewalls, VPN and Telephony/VOIP experience
Location: Columbia SC
Duration: 12 months
REQUIRED SKILLS (RANK IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE):
1. 7+ years of experience of installation, configuration, and management of common network hardware and configurations including routers, switches, WAPs, load balancers, firewalls, and VPN appliances
2. 5+ years of experience with maximizing network performance by monitoring performance; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades; collaborating with system architects on network optimization.
PREFERRED SKILLS (RANK IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE):
1. Telephony/ VoIP: Experience serving as a team lead or other leadership role for a technical team.
2. 5+ years of experience with firewall configuration and management
1. At least one of the following certifications: CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, CCT, CISA, JNCIA, JNCIE, JNCIP, JNCIS, PCBSE
1. ITIL Foundation certification
2. Bachelor’s Degree in a Technical Field
DAILY DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Network Engineer will perform installations, repairs, upgrades, backups, and other maintenance tasks for all LAN/WAN network equipment. Daily duties will include using technical and non-technical skills such as problem solving, LAN knowledge, proxy servers, networking knowledge, network design and implementation, network troubleshooting, network hardware configuration & network performance.
This position does require after hours and/or on-call work.
1. Utilize expertise in creating network and enterprise-wide solutions that are highly available, fault tolerant network solutions. Implementation of network design and architectural strategy.
2. Perform the configuration, installation, maintenance and upgrade of networking products.
3. Troubleshoot network failures and identifies network problems.
4. Network analysis, design, installation, configuration, and support.
5. Maintain network diagrams and other network documentation.
6. Support the voice team and server team with IT tasks.
7. Design, administration and support of a co-location for disaster recovery.
8. Design, implement and administer fail-over and load-balancing solutions.
9. Collect and analyze data for performance and capacity of the network and its components
10. Identify critical network components for proactive monitoring and alerting
11. Extensive knowledge of Internet Protocols, communication protocols, data and network security
12. Network Performance Monitoring and Troubleshooting
13. Hands-on experience of network encryption techniques (IPSEC)
14. Experience with configuration and troubleshooting of Quality of Service
15. Define and document a process to ensure that the components that make up a production service have adequate capacity and scalability to handle anticipated traffic volumes
Current experience with maturing IT programs, regardless of industry, is strongly desired and will be given the highest weight.
Experience must include interpersonal competencies such as:
1. Excellent communication skills both verbal and written for audiences from all levels within the organization, both business and technical.
2. Active and attentive listening skills.
3. Strong customer service skills.
4. Attention to detail.
5. Team player and self-driven.
Experience must include self-management competencies such as:
1. Organizational and multi-tasking abilities.
2. Good analytical skills.
3. Strong troubleshooting skills.
4. Ability to comprehend technical instructions and correspondence
1. Ability to perform moderately-complex network design and integration.
2. Ability to troubleshoot and remediate issues in a complex, voice-integrated infrastructure.
3. Strong information assurance skill set (i.e., auditing, security, DR, availability, etc.)
4. Strong knowledge of common telco requirements and processes, including the ability to work directly with technical and administrative telco representatives.
5. Minimum 7 years’ experience configuring routers and switches
6. Strong understanding and practical experience with technologies such as MPLS, VPNs and traffic engineering
7. Knowledge of telephony is a plus
8. Experience using packet analyzers such as Wire Shark
9. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of products, particularly Visio
General Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Installation, configuration, and management of common network hardware and configurations including routers, switches, WAPs, load balancers, and VPN appliances
2. Utilize Microsoft Office software suite, Bizagi, Atlassian products and other products as needed to document ITS processes and procedures
3. Serve as a lead and/or SME for information assurance activities such as auditing, security, Disaster Recovery, availability, etc.
4. Maximize network performance by monitoring performance; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades; collaborating with system architects on network optimization.
5. Provide network planning, security analysis and implementation, definition and coordination of standards
6. Provide configuration, troubleshooting and problem resolution support for switches, routers, Load Balancers, VPN, firewalls, etc.
7. Other duties as assigned. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform other duties as requested by management. Adherence to all policies, to include Information Security Program policies, is a requirement of the job duties. The agency reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of this job at any time.
Networking & Directories Network Administration Yes 1 Lead 4 – 6 Years
Networking & Directories Network security Yes 3 Advanced 4 – 6 Years
Networking & Directories Virtual LAN (VLAN) Yes 1 Expert 2 – 4 Years
Networking & Directories VPN DEVICES Yes 3 Expert 2 – 4 Years
Networking & Directories BROCADE No 1 Expert 4 – 6 Years
Networking & Directories Juniper No 3 Advanced 2 – 4 Years
Networking & Directories VOIP No 5 Advanced 2 – 4 Years
Networking & Directories VPN – virtual private network No 5 Advanced 2 – 4 Years